What is #AskAwayFriday?
#AskAwayFriday was created by the amazing Penny from Real Housewife of Caroline County, as a way to connect with other bloggers with a great Q & A session of 10 questions and 10 answers, between two bloggers!
This is a wonderful opportunity to get to know others while allowing others to get to know you and of course there is also the added bonus of making great friends along the way. Participating in #AskAwayFriday each week is also a great way to build your blogging community.
Drop by and welcome our fabulous #AAF hosts:
This week my buddy is Christy from Uplifting Families. She is a mother of three from Texas. Christy blogs about parenting, pregnancy, breastfeeding and so much more. You can visit Christy HERE to read her answers to my questions.
Below are the questions she asked me.
1. What is one piece of advice that you would give to a single mom?
|Goose and I at her fifth birthday party|
Reach out to your family and friends and don’t be afraid to ask for help. When my daughter was young I depended on my friends and family for many, things. They helped babysit, loaned me money when things got tight, and were my support network as a single mother. If I didn’t have their support I probably wouldn’t have been able to handle raising her on my own. I probably wouldn’t be here to write this either.
2.Now that you are a mom, what is piece of baby gear would you recommend for moms to put on their baby registry?
|Me and Little Bear Christmas 2010 he was one week old|
The last time I had a baby was over four years ago, so this one is tough for me to answer. I used my sling a lot, but that was mostly because I had other small children so I needed to free my hands. If it is your first child ask for lots of diapers. You can’t have too many diapers.
3. I remember when I was growing up that my parents let me play outside unattended with my friend as long as I told her where I was going. I never let my kids go outside unattended even my two teenagers. I always make them stay where I can see them, if I do allow them to play outside unless they are in the back yard, will you allow your children to play outside by themselves when they are older?
I always tell my kids that they can go outside and play as long as they stay in the yard. I make sure I can see them from the window. During the summer I let Goose take her siblings to the park while I stay home to get housework done, go for a run or write. I trust Goose. Besides, she has a black belt and knows how to defend herself and her siblings.
4. How do you manage to find the time to manage two online blogs? I barely can keep up with one most of the time.
How do I find the time to manage two blogs? I only write in this one 2-3 days a week. When we lived in Spokane I managed to update it every single day. But ever since we moved to Chicago I have less and less free time. So I write a #WordlessWedesday on a Tuesday, then update it again on Wednesday and #AskAwayFriday Thursday night.
I have 16 contributors on my other blog plus I run a ton of guest posts from experts in health, fitness and parenting. I do #WordlessWednesday on a Tuesday and then one or two original articles written by myself during the week. The most time consuming aspect of that blog is answering all the e mails from PR requests, occasional calls with clients, and the bookwork.
I try to visit blogs and leave comments when my youngest takes his naps at 1pm CST. If my husband is out of town then I fit in blog reading and commenting after the kids go to bed too.
5. What is your favorite blog post? Why?
From which blog? Both?
This is a good one: Friday Funny and Week Recap at the Zoo
This post really explains what my life is like. Although, it was written when we lived in Spokane and things are a lot different now. It is the most popular post, is humorous, and I like it.
I have nearly 3,000 posts on my other blog so narrowing it down to just one is impossible.
For the Healthy Moms Magazine Are GMO Foods Safe? Is my very favorite, but it’s highly controversial. I love to write opinion pieces and this one is the best. It really showcases my point of view.
This is another really good article that I wrote a while back: The Truth About Popular Healthy Snacks for Kids.
6. Fitness- What is your favorite way to workout or be fit?
I love to run, but Chicago winters are not friendly to runners. Lately, I just work out in my home gym. I have an elliptical, a fitness ball, and some hand weights. I work out every day for 20 minutes after I take the kids to school.
7. What is your favorite “me” time activity?
Praying and reading my bible or going for a run or working out.
8. What is your go to meal when you are busy and have to get the family fed before bedtime?
Leftovers. We have leftover night two nights a week. Chris can take leftovers and turn it into healthy pizza.
9. If you won a $500 dollar shopping spree (you could only spend it on yourself), what would you spend the money on?
That is a tough one. I am a fitness junkie so maybe some more fitness gear or nutritional supplements and new clothes for myself. I’d probably also visit The Family Christian Store and get some home decor or Veggie Tales movies for my kids. There is so much that I would love to spend money on, if I had some extra money. Right now I could use some new boots. My favorite ones are wearing out. But I wouldn’t spend $500 on just a pair of boots. I’d make sure I spread it around and got my money’s worth.
10. Quick Favorites
1. Book – The Bible
2. Movie – It is a toss up between The Princess Bride and Forrest Gump. I can quote both of those movies just about from start to finish.
3. Food – Chocolate. This is my weakness. Dark chocolate is okay every once in a while.
4. Season of the Year (Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall) – Spring
5. Holiday – Easter
6. Music/artist/song or genre – I love anything country. Right now my favorites are Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, Florida Georgia Line, Zac Brown Band…Okay I have way too many favorites. My kids love Blake.
7. Celebrity – Jim Parsons. He is so funny and Chris and I love The Big Bang Theory.
8. Historical Figure – Saint Mother Theresa. I know she was from recent history but she was an amazing woman.
9. State in the United States – I was born and raised in Wisconsin. I love being a cheese head and Packer fan.
10. Animal – house cat I grew up with cats and always thought that a home wasn’t a home without one. Now that we rent I haven’t had a pet cat in years. Once we buy a house I will go to the animal shelter and adopt a little kitty.